Palmistry also known as Chiromancy can’t really be tagged as a superstitious phenomenon. It is an ancient science of the study of palms for predicting the future and characteristics of an individual. It involves the study of the palm, its different characteristics such as color, shape, size, lines, moles, hairs, and nails in great detail and with utmost dedication.
Archaeologists have discovered various artifacts depicting paintings of palms-on stone, on ivory and wooden plates which tell us how popular it would have been in ancient times. Greeks have utilized palmistry in the field of medical sciences similar to what many astrologers in India have been trying to cure many people from various chronic ailments via astrological solutions by analyzing their birth charts also known as Janmapatri or Kundli. It has also come to notice that many known people in history have used the patterns of palms for recruiting personnel in their teams.
Let us have a quick look at 11 interesting facts about palmistry:-
- People who practice palmistry are known as palmists, palm readers, or chirologists.
- It is firmly believed that palmistry originated in India as a part of astrology known as Jyotish Vigyan. Famous Indian saint Sri Valmiki is said to have recorded the details and explanations associated with palm reading more than 5000 years ago. Palmistry then gradually spread to China, Tibet, Arab and African nations and from there to the European continent. Chinese used the patterns of lines for sealing documents. Greeks utilized it for healing and few Romans for selecting the most suitable candidate in their organization.
- Palmistry has gained abundant popularity and has been adopted as a profession by many. There are many institutes that conduct various short and long-term courses for imparting expertise in the same.
- Patterns and methodologies for analyzing a palm vary from place to place and culture to culture. As a universally acceptable thumb rule, the dominant/active palm is used for predicting the future and analyzing the present characteristic traits and ideologies of an individual. Active hand is a hand by which a person performs his/her routine activities such as writing, eating, etc. The other hand is the passive hand that tells about a person’s past life and characteristics inherited from his/ her parents. The most amazing part is that you can very well tell about future events of the person’s parents and/ or life partner by analyzing the passive hand. Chinese follow a slightly different pattern. They consider the right palm of a male passive till the age of 30 years, whereas for the females it is considered as active till the age of 30.
- Scientifically, medical science claims that the lines, depressions; markings are nothing but a reflection of the pattern in which a baby had folded his/her hands in the mother’s womb. After birth, there is a marked variation in these patterns depending on how individuals use their palms. However, as per astrological science, such changes are attributed to one’s own karma or deeds.
- A palm can be divided into different sections known as mounts or parvatas. Each mount depicts characteristics associated with the particular planet. Mounts have been named after the celestial bodies in our solar system- Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, Mercury, active and passive Mars, Neptune, Sun, Moon.
- The lines present in our palms have been associated with different particular features such as head, heart, fate, health, marriage, influence, and many others the count of which is too detailed to be discussed under a single heading.
- Further, there are as many as 100 symbols/signs present in a palm, the type and position of which influences a person’s life either positively or negatively- fish, star, cross, grill, triangle, circle, trident, chainage, islands, etc.
- Palmistry along with astrology promises accuracy of up to 99%. It has been used as a supporting aid by many astrologers across the Indian subcontinent.
- Phalanges, color, hair, shape, and inclination of fingers can reveal a lot about human personality and making predictions for the same.
- Meditation and Yoga have been highly effective in changing the patterns present in our palms.
The above-discussed interesting facts about palmistry are indeed very promising. But when this field is seen from the lens of spirituality, it has been practically observed that the “Law of Attraction” actually holds valid here. Different markings, lines, symbols do not hold permanent existence but actually change with regards to our attitude, thinking, deeds and lifestyle. The most vulnerable lines to such changes are- stress line, health line, sun line, fate line, and headline. Though some may or may not believe in palmistry but the accuracy has been highly appreciated by the people who have actually tried it.